As far as standard wins go, last night was pretty standard. We dispatched West Brom in standard fashion with minimal fuss. Bar a few nervy moments in the first half in which Tony Pulls’ side certainly should have had a penalty, we looked very comfortable and ran out worthy winners.
That penalty shout for Mustafi’s clumsy challenge was a strange decision by the referee. I was surprised he didn’t blow for the foul immediately. Whilst I won’t dispute the contact in the box was a foul, a clear penalty and a stupid challenge from Mustafi, West Brom can’t really say they didn’t play the advantage. A great finger tip save by Cech diverted the follow-up shot onto the post and Livermore missed with the net gaping as the ball bounced back to him. They should have scored and pulling the play back to award a penalty after they failed to capitalise on the advantage wound’t have been fair.
Tony Pulis, cantankerous spinster extraordinaire, moaned about it afterwards. Of course he did, the stuffy old p*ssbag. He also claimed Alexis dived in winning the free kick that lead to our first goal, which is a stupid claim to make indeed. The truth is, for the vast majority of the game Arsenal were the better team and deserved the win and any instance in which Tony Pulls is unhappy is a marvellous occurrence.
As I’m never one to go into too much detail about a game we’ve already seen, I thought I’d just do some player ratings as that seem the en vogue thing to do these days. It’ll run with the customary 1-10 scheme with 10 being awarded to a faultless, ethereal performance and 1 being reserved for an absolutely sh*it-awful display.
- Cech (7) Had little to do, but did make 1 superb save to divert a shot onto the post with the merest of fingertips
- Mustafi (5) Needs to try staying on his feet in our half
- Koscielny (6) Quietly went about his business
- Monreal (8) My MOTM. Looks very good at CB and made a superb clearance off the line
- Bellerin (7) Got up and down the flanks with verve, did little or nothing wrong
- Kolasinac (7) The Tank. You don’t f*ck with The Tank.
- Elneny (7) Was everywhere. I love his team ethic and work rate
- Xhaka (6) Made a few nice passes and didn’t really do much else
- Ramsey (7) He had a decent game playing in a more advance role. Not sure it really suits him
- Alexis (6) Had some good touches and moments, but still seems a bit rusty
- Lacazette (8) 2 excellent finishes. Not just a ‘fox in the box’, he links play superbly
- Giroud (Sub 6) Looked handsome when he came on. Nice beard as always
- Ozil (Sub N/A)
- Maitland-Niles (Sub N/A)
To summarise, our good run of results continues and another clean sheet adds to our defensive confidence. I’ve no doubt we’ll see a drastically different team to play BATE Borisov on Thursday, but I’d expect Arsene to use the same starting 11 when we entertain Brighton on Sunday. After the shambles at Anfield, we’re starting to look a much better team and I’ve a little bit of renewed hope going forward. Let’s hope Arsenal don’t do an Arsenal and prove me wrong.
That’s all for today – the comments are below if you wish to share your thoughts.
As always; thanks for reading, you beautiful bastards.